i will not take these things for granted

thoughts on this and that in an attempt to live reflectively

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, May 18, 2006

ID Journal :: 1 Jn 2.1-17

So this identity journal is a developing thing. I began by just taking verses from 1 Peter and now 1 John and changing them only slightly so that they are more personal (i.e. changing pronouns from third to first person). For example, here's 1 John 2:1-2 through the lens of identity:

These things are written so that I may not sin. But if I do sin, I have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the atoning sacrifice for my sins, and not for mine only but also for the sins of the whole world.

I like this way because its retains more context and requires less license for interpretation. And specifically with this passage, it shows me that it's not all about me. Christ is the atoning sacrifice for my sins, yeah, but not for mine only. This logically leads to mission. I have both identity and purpose.

So, this is how I started putting (and still put) verses in my journal, but I also like distilling the verses further into more simple, pithy, straightforward statements. Thus 1 John 2:1-2 becomes:

> I have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
> He is the atoning sacrifice for my sins.

As another example, here is 2:3, first with the simple change (which switches pronouns but generally retains word order), followed by a more distilled statement:

By this I can be sure that I know him, if I obey his commandments.
> I can be sure that I know him if I obey his commandments.

Okay, now that you know what I'm up to, here are the rest of the statements I jotted down for 2:1-17, some of which will include both versions of identity statements:

If I obey his word, truly in me the love of God has reached perfection (2:5).
> God is perfecting his love in me as I obey his word.
> OR, As I obey his word, God's love is reaching perfection in me.

By this I may be sure that I am in him: if I say, “I abide in him,” I ought to walk just as he walked (2:6).
> I am in him.
> I abide in him.
> I ought to walk just as he walked.

The new commandment is true in him and in me, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining (2:8).
> The new commandment of love and light is true in him and in me.
> The darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining (in me).

If I love a brother or sister I live in the light, and in me there is no cause for stumbling (2:10).
> I love others.
> I live in the light.
> In me there is no cause for stumbling.

My sins are forgiven on account of his name (2:12).

I know him who is from the beginning (2:13).

I have conquered the evil one (2:13).

I know the Father (2:14).

I am strong and the word of God abides in me, and I have overcome the evil one (2:14).
> I am strong and the word of God abides in me.
> I have overcome the evil one.

I do not love the world or the things of the world (2:15).

As one who does the will of God, I live forever (2:17).

If you would like to read 2:1-17 from the NRSV, click here.

What do y'all think? Though this journal is primarily for my personal spiritual formation, as I share it with others, I want it to be helpful. So, which of the two ways of creating identity statements above resonates most with you? Or perhaps you like having both versions together?

The thing I like about this way of reading scripture is that it makes it more personal, more autobiographical. I'm not reading to glean information or propositions but to encounter God, to learn the truth about him and me (and others), and to be transformed.

2 Comments:

Blogger TKP said...

Mitch,
What a powerful use of Scripture! Seriously, it makes the message so much more personal and meaningful. Thanks for sharing.

PS Were you translating properly from Koine? Just kidding.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great, Mitch! It is an incredibly powerful way to discover God's Word. And it also makes you wonder what the people the letters were originally written to were thinking and feeling as they were hearing them read for the first time, knowing Paul and Peter were writing to them specifically...

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home