i will not take these things for granted

thoughts on this and that in an attempt to live reflectively

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Bring It

These days I'm working my way through the Gospel of Luke, and today I read chapter 8. Verse 1 begins:

Soon afterwards [Jesus] went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God.

What struck me as I read that first verse is that Jesus didn't just proclaim the good news as he travelled about Palestine. No, he proclaimed and he brought it. Jesus didn't just proclaim that God's favor had come, he showed it. He healed the sick, freed the demon-possessed, warned the proud, stood up for the lowly, welcomed sinners, loved outcasts, served everyone.

The good news is more than a message, it's a reality. It's a kingdom come near. It's not just something we say, it's something we do. It not something that can be done from a distance, it requires going to people—being with them, speaking to them, serving them, touching them, loving them.

I pray for me and all of us that wherever we go we bring the healing, liberating, transforming good news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home