i will not take these things for granted

thoughts on this and that in an attempt to live reflectively

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, United States

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Fresh Pow Pow

Yesterday I got back from a spring break jaunt to Snowmass, Colorado. My brother had an infectious diseases conference there, and he invited me to join him for four days of skiing, that's right FOUR!

It was awesome! I'd always hoped for a chance to ski with my big bro and finally I got it. Since it is so late in the skiing season, though, I expected less than ideal skiing conditions (i.e. icy or slushy), but we were pleasantly surprised with four inches of fresh powder on Monday morning and then a couple more inches on Wednesday morning. Ah, the pow pow was perfect. And so was the commensurability of our skiing skills. We are at about the same skill level, which meant we could keep up with each other; neither of us held the other back. No, Snowmass was no match for we Anderson brothers.

Brothers are such a blessing and God's creation is so amazing! I'm so thankful for such a great spring break!

The pictures you're viewing are (1) me catching some sweet air off of a jump, (2) Dev catching some sweet air off the same jump, and (3) my injured noggin. Yeah, don't go off of jumps when you don't know what's behind them. In my case, the fateful jump was followed by moguls (bumps in laymen's terms). I landed the jump, and I was doing a pretty good job of maneuvering the moguls, but finally I bit it. It was an all out yard sale: both skis and both poles came off. And at the end of it all, I bumped my head—I think on my pole but perhaps on the snow. I'm thankful this bruise was all I suffered. The sad thing is that no one was around to enjoy it. Dev had zoomed ahead because we were approaching a flat area and needed speed to traverse it without a lot of pesky poling. And there was no one behind us; it was not until I was up and had my gear back on that someone crested the hill behind me. So, my fall was between me and God, and I think he got a good chuckle out of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Hey Mitch.
Chris put your blog as the Christ Journey "blog of the week".
Funny, my friend Jeremy had a similar experience snowboarding this week. He hit his head on a tree. Maybe a helmet would be in order.

10:35 PM  
Blogger TKP said...

Be careful man! Glad you had fun though.

4:44 PM  
Blogger mitch said...

Blog of the week, eh? Very cool. I'll have to post something worth reading! ;) Yeah, a helmet would be a good idea; maybe next time.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home