i will not take these things for granted

thoughts on this and that in an attempt to live reflectively

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, United States

Sunday, July 03, 2005

One New Friend and Three New Births

I prayed for God to surprise me and I’d say he came through—the very next day! Friday afternoon, as I was leaving the Burleson Athletic Club, I found myself walking beside a guy who had been on the treadmill the entire time I was working out. I introduced myself, commented that I noticed how long he’d been on the treadmill, and as we entered the parking lot, the conversation took off.

After explaining his workout schedule to me (weights in the morning, cardio in the afternoon) he asked me how long I’d been coming to the Athletic Club. I told him only a few weeks and that I was only in town for the summer for an internship. He asked me where I was staying while I’m in town and I answered that I’m staying with a different family each week—that I’m working with a new church in town and that members of it have been generous enough to house me this summer. He asked me to tell him about the church, and so I explained that we are meeting in a small group in a different family’s house each week, that the small group includes praise time, a conversational lesson, and a meal, and that in September we will begin renting a facility for Sunday worship. Here’s where the conversation got really cool.

He told me that he had ‘found God’ about four years ago, and that he was looking into being a part of a Baptist church. However, he said he is having a hard time being forgiving. I got the idea that he felt he should work through that before getting involved in a church. He then added that it is always encouraging when he meets someone willing to talk about God with him. He said that meeting me was like God saying ‘hi.’ (At the moment, all I could think was, “Wow, God, you’re amazing!”)

As the conversation began to wind down, I asked him if I could give him my card and he said sure. So we headed over to my vehicle to get one. As I handed him the card, he asked, “You said y’all meet in a different house each week, right? How do you find out where each week’s house is?” I pointed him to the web address on the card and said that he could find the address there and that he could feel free to call or email me for directions. With a genuine smile on his face, he thanked me and said he’d see me around.

My eyes were watery for the whole thirty-minute drive to the house in Cleburne where I stayed last week. I was so pumped, and so thankful that God set up a divine appointment for us that afternoon.

Thinking back through the conversation, I realize that there were places were I could have dug deeper and could have said more, but I am very happy with the way it went. That night I checked the Christ Journey website to make sure the address for this week’s house was available and found that only the name of the family was listed. D’oh! My friend didn’t call or email over the weekend, so I knew he wouldn’t show tonight, but I pray I see him this week in the gym and that God will bless our conversations.

Despite the fact that my new friend didn’t show, our cell group gathering tonight was awesome! The whole night was organized around the baptisms of Sue, Tiffany, and Michael. FORTY people gathered for the celebration.

After singing several songs, Chris gave all of us the opportunity to say an encouraging word to the baptizees. After a few people spoke, Chris asked me to talk a little bit about the meaning of baptism. I highlighted its connection with creation, cleansing, covenant, and Christ and afterward gave everyone a chance to comment on what they heard or to offer additional thoughts about baptism. Chris then asked Sue, Tiffany, and Michael to gather in the center of the room so that we could place our hands on them and pray. We ALL prayed, ALOUD, at the SAME TIME. It was very cool. The room was filled with the noise of prayers for our new sisters and brother.

After a short break to get changed and ready, we all made our way to the pool in the backyard. About half of us got in the water with Sue, Tiffany, Michael, and with Chris and Heidi who baptized them, and the rest of us circled around the pool to watch. Chris gave a short introduction of each person, and then he and Heidi together baptized Sue, then Tiffany, then Michael, saying in stereo, “We now baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.” Lots of hugging followed, then hot dogs and chips, and finally we celebrated the Lord’s Supper together.

While eating dinner, Mark commented on what a great evening it had been and that this is what it is all about. He said he is really excited to be part of a church like this.

This is indeed what it is all about: walking together through the journey of life in Christ and inviting others to join us. Thank you, God, for the wonderful things you are doing in and through Christ Journey, and thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.

You can view pictures of the baptisms here and read Chris' blog about the evening, as well as other recent Christ Journey events, here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home